How helpful they are in industries:
- Cleaning of industry effluents:
- It is used in immobilization of whole grains to eliminate risk of degradation.
- It is used in vinegar production due to its immobilization factor.
- Semi-synthetic anti biotic are prepared
- They are used to gels, thicken or suspended that is why used in emulsion stabilization.
- Lambda-carrageenans have highest anti-oxidant and free radical scavenging activity.
- Also used in anti-tumor and immunomodulatory activities
- Anti-viral activities performed with the help of carrageenans.
- Helps in anticoagulant and antithrombotic activities
- Carrageenans found their place in personal lubricants i.e. lubricants used during sex and help in prevention HIV with the anti-microbial and antiviral properties.
According to farmer seaweed industry estimation, 21000 metric ton red seaweed is cultivated annually over a value of USD 250 million so from this fact the economic value of carageenan is established. Refined carrageenans are produced in USA, France, Denmark and Philippines. These times carrageenans are in demand which leads to the increased production of red seaweeds across the world
Processing of carrageenans
Carrageenans are processed from the red seaweed which is cultivated in the salty water which makes it more convenient to produce without the help of fresh water or arable land.
Carrageenan is polligeenan?
No, it is a big myth about the carrageenan that it is a poligeenan or vice versa. But poligeenan is different substance altogether as requires strong acids with aggressive processing in contrast to carrageenan which requires mild processing. Poligeenan is not a food additive and not functional in food items like carrageenans.
In this way, it was all about the carageenan’s safety concerns, industrial uses, forms and applications in daily life. Carrageenans are not a safety concern as approved by the prestigious organizations in all respects.